Admission requirements include a BA in Spanish. An undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or above, which includes at least 12 semester hours of upper-division undergraduate courses in Spanish with a GPA of at least 3.0. Students must also satisfy general requirements of the Graduate School and submit the proper electronic online application and transcripts at the Graduate School website. Students must also complete a secondary admission packet (also submitted online through the Graduate School electronic application portal), which should include:
- A current resume (CV) in Spanish
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from qualified professionals (written within the last six months), preferably from past professors, that address the applicant’s academic record.
- A writing sample in Spanish (critical or creative writing texts). If you do not have a six-page paper, you may submit multiple shorter works totaling six pages.
- A Language Evaluation Form (available for download at the departmental website) completed and signed by a qualified language evaluator. If you have an official ACTFL OPI rating certificate, this may be submitted in lieu of the Language Evaluation Form.
- An introductory letter in Spanish to include:
a. A brief biography of one or two paragraphs along with your goals and objectives for obtaining a Master’s degree in Spanish
b. A statement of interest in either the residential (on-campus) program or the online program
c. A statement of your prospective area of interest (Linguistics or Literature), and
d. Your declaration of interest in being considered for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (this option is only available for the residential [on-campus] program.
Only completed applications will be reviewed. Again, all materials should be submitted via the Graduate School electronic application portal. No materials should be sent directly to the department. Applying to the program does not guarantee admission to the program. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all materials have been submitted correctly.
Application deadlines: September 15 for admission for the following Spring semester (which begins in January), and January 15 for admission for the following Fall semester (which begins in August). Students will be advised upon their formal acceptance into the program.